Acupuncture is safe and effective during pregnancy. The practice of acupuncture during pregnancy dates back for over thousand years. Acupuncture is not a substitute for Western prenatal medical care. Instead, it offers complementary care that has many benefits. Since acupuncture has very few side effects, many pregnant women seek acupuncture to enhance wellness during pregnancy and labor, and as an alternative to medication for many common pregnancy complaints.
Chinese medicine puts a strong emphasis on pregnancy wellness, because we believe that a healthy and pleasant pregnancy has a positive impact on the outcome of the baby’s health as well as their temperament. Chinese medicine practice makes every effort for the mother-to-be to feel healthy and happy. Feeling relaxed translates to less muscle tension and gland constriction, and therefore, allows babies to receive optimal nourishment in the womb. In addition to acupuncture, our practitioners give helpful lifestyle and dietary recommendations, as well as tips for family members to support the mother.
Acupuncture has been shown to:
- Prevent potential miscarriage
- Alleviate morning sickness
- Relieve migraines
- Reduce exhaustion and boost energy
- Stopping bleeding or spotting in the early months of pregnancy
- Extinguish heartburn
- Ease insomnia
- Prevent or shrink hemorrhoids
- Ease aches and pains from sciatica to carpal tunnel to back pain
- Reduce swelling due to water retention
- Treat depression both during and after pregnancy
Working jointly with OBGYNs and midwives, we have also successfully treated many conditions.